Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mom's Apple Crisp



My mom used to make this for breakfast growing up...I'd eat it at my fold-up table in front of the TV with my little Smurf mug filled with milk. Oh, it brings back such warm fuzzy memories. Then in college, I'd make it and eat half a pan at a time...so now I make it when there will be other people to enjoy is apple-y goodness. In this version, I added 1/2 c. dried cranberries.

6 c. sliced tart apples (6 medium)
1/2 c. flour
1/8 t salt
1/2 c oats (or more)
3/4 t. cinnamon
3/4 t. nutmeg
1/3 c. butter, softened.

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a squar 8 x 8 baking dish. Place apples in baking dish.

2. Mix remaining ingredients thoroughly. Sprinkle over apples. Bake 20 minutes covered with foil, then 20 minutes uncovered, or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream.

*Best vanilla ice cream in the world as far as I am concerned, is Dr. Bob's:

Printable version here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS