Sunday, January 18, 2009

Kale Salad





OK, don't give up on me quite yet...I understand your skepticism of all things kale. I share them. However, I discovered a raw kale salad at Whole Foods that's really good...but I don't enjoy paying $5.00 for a pint of kale with a couple nuts! So I created one that is loaded with antioxidants AND flavor. You won't even realize you're eating dark leafies! Note: this recipe uses preserved lemon. If you have an extra day to make it, I highly recommend it as it adds a special flavor. If not, no worries--just use lemon rind.

1 bunch kale, chopped (discard big stems)
1 cup blueberries
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 teaspoon preserved lemon
1/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons quality extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

1. Put chopped kale in a large bowl. Throw in the blueberries and the cranberries.

2. In a small bowl, combine preserved lemon, mustard, honey, and vinegar. Throw in a tiny pinch of salt and swirl around until salt dissolves. Now whisk in the olive oil until emulsified.

3. Toss kale salad with vinaigrette and top with ground pepper, if desired.

Printable version here.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious. I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical. Now that I'm pregnant, I am supposed to get a cup of dark leafies every day. I've resorted to blending fresh kale in fruit smoothies, which works pretty well. But I tried chomping some of the unblended fresh stuff, and it tasted just like freshly mown lawn. Yucko! But with all the other delicious bits in here, I might just be persuaded.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS