Thursday, March 11, 2010

Zucchini-Mint Soup




I love to cut zucchini. I could cut zucchini all day. No, this is not a euphamism. Have you ever tried it? It's so fun. OK, so I might be kind of a food dork, but something about the way the knife goes through this vegetable just makes me very happy. The contrast of the dark green skin to the milky white flesh....OK, I'm gonna stop right there. This is getting weird. I just like it. Don't judge me.

So, anyways, I'm always happy when this vegetable comes into season. Though it's pretty much always available, I prefer to buy things in season because 1) it's 'greener' as it hasn't been flown in from some South American country; 2) it's more delicious because it's fresh; and 3)it's good to support local farmers when we can. Plus we went to our favorite local restaurant, Piccolo, the other night and had a really delicious zucchini soup for an appetizer and I wanted it again. But of course I have to put my Suzy twist on it--healthier and more interesting (if I can swing it)! This soup is almost fat-free. It uses one Tablespoon of olive oil (the heathy kind) for the whole pot which will make four good-sized servings of soup. Then I added mint and lemon to really liven it up. It will just taste better, not necessarily minty. I asked my husband, "Can you taste the secret ingredient?" "Ah.....no....," he replied. "Are you sure? It's in there..." but, alas, he was already lost in whatever TV show I was forcing him to watch (probably Biggest Loser. I love that show soooooo much). I didn't press the issue but believe me, it's in there and it adds something. That 'je ne sais quoi,' if you will. Je ne said what? Exactly.

1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
4 medium zucchini, rinsed and roughly chopped
2-3 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
1 heaping Tablespoon mint leaves, sliced
Juice of 1 lemon
a few shots Tabasco (optional)
salt and pepper

1. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add garlic and onion. Add a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Sautee until soft and, about 10 minutes. Stir often. (Do not burn the garlic or you will have to start over.)

2. Add zucchini and sautee until they start to get soft and slightly brown, 5 minutes or so. Add a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper.

3. Add chicken broth to cover. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 15 minutes or until zucchini is very soft.

4. Turn off heat, add mint, and blend using immersion blender. (If you don't have one, you can use a blender but do in many batches as hot soup will expand in the blender.) When thoroughly blended, add the lemon juice and adjust salt to taste. (I found it needed a couple more pinches of salt...you will know when it's properly salted because the soup will sort of come alive but not taste 'salty'.) Add tobasco to taste, stir.

Serves 4.

Printable version here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS