Monday, March 15, 2010

Red Snapper with Suzy's Sorta-Gremolata


When I hear the word "Snapper," I think about camp. In 6th grade, I was at a girl scout camp in Wisconsin where there was all sorts of wild life all around, especially in the summertime. Every day, the girls and I would pass this big turtle and look at it. We were told that it was a snapper and not to get too close. Well, one day after a courage-inducing meal of pancakes or something, the bravest girl in our troupe, Nicole, took a stick and gingerly approached the turtle. It tolerated her waving and poking of the stick for a while, and just as we were about to be convinced that it was not, indeed, a snapper, that big-ass turtle lurched viciously in her direction. You can imagine the screaming that ensued. I'm sure all canine ears within a 2-mile radius perked up a little. We all hauled it back to the campsite. I probably dug into a secret stash of Samoas, knowing myself at that age. (Fat kids tend to go one or two ways: Stay fat or get into fitness....but I digress...). I will never again hear the word snapper without thinking of that day and our near-death experience at Camp Singing Hills.

I wonder if red snappers have that same sneaky face, like a decrepit mean ancient person. Ah, I don't really care. I quite like how the fish tastes, and I buy it in cute little filets that look nothing like a fish. Or a turtle, for that matter.

Anyways, this is your dish if you have 15 minutes to make a delicious and easy meal for dinner. It takes less time than a frozen pizza. Do yourself right and try this for dinner this week. Then eat as many Samoas as you like.

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 large handful walnut halves/pieces, chopped
1 heaping Tablespoon lemon zest (from 1 lemon-juice after zesting)
1/4 cup basil, chopped
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
pinch red pepper flakes
2 Tablespoons dried cranberries
4 red snapper filets
salt and pepper
olive oil
4 cups arugula

1. Preheat broiler.

2. In a nonstick pan, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and walnuts, and toast, stirring continuously, until light brown. Take off heat and put the walnut-breadcrumb mixture in a small bowl. Add the lemon zest, parsley, basil, and cranberries. Stir. Set aside.

3. Wipe out pan. Add a drizzle of olive oil to the pan and put back over flame. Turn heat to medium-high. Salt and pepper the fish and add to the skillet. (May need to do this in two batches). Cook on one side for 2 minutes, flip. Cook for another minute or two depending on thickness of fish, then pile the breadcrumb mixture on the fish and transfer to the oven. DO NOT LEAVE! Breadcrumbs burn quickly, so watch with the oven door ajar. You want the breadcrumbs to toast to a nice deep brown but not to burn. (Less than a minute). Remove pan from oven and set aside.

4. Drizzle the lemon juice over the arugula and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Add a small pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper, toss, and distribute among plates. Plate the fish carefully (you might need two spatulas for this).

Enjoy!!!

Serves 4.

Printable version here.

1 comment:

  1. Hah, I love that you say you buy cute little fillets! I'm the same way - my mom and I have this on-going joke about "cute pieces" of chicken. I have an aversion to eating an oversized hunk of chicken meat so my mom always saves the "cute" pieces for me.

    But I digress... the recipe looks great! I love everything in it - can't wait to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS