Saturday, June 19, 2010

Lemon Blueberry Bars









I just love recipes with stories attached. And maybe this is New-Age-California-Yogi-Speak getting to my head, but I sincerely believe that when food is cooked with love and a loving intention, the food is better. That's why I was so touched when our friends in New York served these lemon bars which have such meaning and significance in their lives. Sparing you the details of their family history for the sake of their privacy, these bars were made in a poignant gesture of love and comfort in unimaginably difficult circumstances. Now, they are made in celebration of family togetherness and joy. I was humbled when they agreed to share the recipe with me so that I could bake these little morsels of citrusy love for the Eat My Blog charity bake sale that is happening today at Tender Greens in West Hollywood, CA. I made a couple little tweaks to the recipe--I just love the combination of lemon and blueberries (and blueberries are fantastic right now), so I added those and because I love the tartness of lemony desserts, I reduced the sugar slightly and added some lemon zest. I hope that you will go to the bake sale to support the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank today!!! Or if you do not live in L.A., perhaps you'll make these goodies for a friend who's going through a hard time or just for your family to tell them you love them. A Votre Sante!!!

Lemon Blueberry Squares

2 sticks butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cup flour plus 4 Tablespoons flour
4 eggs
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
5 Tablespoons lemon juice (from 2-3 lemons)
1 cup blueberries, dusted with flour

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Blend butter and sugar in a mixer until light and fluffy. Add salt, two cups flour, and mix until all the flour is incorporated. Press into a 9X13 greased pan. Bake for 20 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, mix the eggs, sugar, 4 Tablespoons flour, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Fold in blueberries. Pour over baked crust.

4. Bake 25-30 minutes or until edges are light brown. Let cool 1 hour.

5. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy! (These freeze well, too!)

Printable version here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS