Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Valentine's Day Menu

What to do on Valentine's Day? Go out to the obligatory prix-fixe at three times the price? It can be nice...but I opt for staying in. A home-cooked meal is the best way that I know to show someone how much you love them. Ok...second best. :)

I've created a pretty easy, light menu for you to create for your significant other...or even just your commiserating friend. The menu has some lovely aphrodisiacs thrown in. Did you know that aphrodisiacs are not so much effective by the chemical reactions they create in your body, but rather, the thoughts that they inspire. Asparagus...eggs...oranges...beets...either by shape, idea, or color, they remind us of...ourselves and of each other....

I think the sure-finder deterrent to a romantic 'end-of-the-night' is getting too full. So, I kept the dishes on the light side. Space them out...take your time...enjoy a bottle of wine and conversation.

I know some people do not like being "forced" to celebrate romance, or consider Valentine's Day a "Hallmark" holiday, but I say: "I will use each and every opportunity to share and celebrate my love!" Really, which party do you think is happier in the end? I hope that you make this meal and feel happy, too. Enjoy.

Menu:

Blanched Asparagus with Chopped Boiled Egg

Seared Salmon with Blood Orange Beurre Rouge

Heart-Shaped Roasted Beets

Valentine's Day S'mores


Decor Ideas:

Keep this simple. A few bud vases with a favorite flower. A few votive candles (odd numbers are more aesthetically pleasing). Apples, pears, and artichokes all make beautiful centerpieces in combination or separately.

Or for something more whimsical, fill up jars with Valentine's candies or just sprinkle conversation hearts in the middle of the table. Use your creativity. It will be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS